Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I might have puked..

     I might have puked.  So what?  In Arnold's biography he said he's puked hundreds of times during a workout.  Dan John said I might puke.  That being said I still don't feel any better about it.  And what scares me even more is tomorrow.  Tomorrow is training day 2 of the program and instead of just one set of 30 rep squats I have to do TWO, count them TWO sets of 30 rep squats.  I will have to set my alarm extra early as it may take me a while to finish those.  It's nearly two days later and I'm still feeling the effects.  I cringe every time I have to take stairs or even get up from sitting down for that matter. Maybe the basketball game later on in the day wasn't such a good idea.   I guess that means its working right?  Anyways here is what day 1 of training looked like.



Dumbbell over head press x 5
Bench Press 5x5
Bird Dog x 2 (core training)
Bat Wings x 3 (kind of like a dumbbell row but you lay face down on the bench and hold the weights for a period of time)

3 sets of 5 of the following complex:


Bent over row
Clean
Military Press
Front Squat
Back Squat
Good Morning

A complex is a series of lifts in which you do all sets of  the above listed exercises before placing the bar down

And finally

Back Squat 1 x 30
(puke)

Day two comes bright and early tomorrow morning.  I will not have a glass of milk before hand this time. And maybe some stretching will be in order; something I don't do nearly enough of.  And since I'm done reading Dan John's book I'll need some new reading material.   Next on the list is Lyle McDonald's Guide to Flexible Dieting:  Review to follow.



Excerpt
The following is an excerpt from the Introduction of the book
See if this sounds familiar: you’ve just started a new diet, certain that it’s going to be different this time around and that it’s going to work. You’re cranking along, adjust to the new eating (and exercise) patterns and everything is going just fine. For a while.

Then the problem hits. Maybe it’s something small, a slight deviation or dalliance. There’s a bag of cookies and you have one or you’re at the mini mart and just can’t resist a little something that’s not on your diet. Or maybe it’s something a little bit bigger, a party or special event comes up and you know you won’t be able to stick with your diet. Or, at the very extreme, maybe a vacation comes up, a few days out of town or even something longer, a week or two. What do you do?

Now, if you’re in the majority, here’s what happens: You eat the cookie and figure that you’ve blown your diet and might as well eat the entire bag. Clearly you were weak willed and pathetic for having that cookie, the guilt sets in and you might as well just start eating and eating and eating.

Or since the special event is going to blow your diet, you might as well eat as much as you can and give up, right? The diet is obviously blown by that single event so might as well chuck it all in the garbage. Vacations can be the ultimate horror, it’s not as if you’re going to go somewhere special for 3 days (or longer) and stay on your diet, right? Might as well throw it all out now and just eat like you want, gain back all the weight and then some.’

What if I told you that none of the above had to happen? What if I told you that expecting to be perfect on your diet was absolutely setting you up for failure, that being more flexible about your eating habits would make them work better? What if I told you that studies have shown that people who are flexible dieters (as opposed to rigid dieters) tend to weigh less, show better adherence to their diet in the long run and have less binge eating episodes?



No comments:

Post a Comment